Returning Students: 2019-2020

If your student transferred/moved to another school in 2019-2020, and is now returning to WPSD#1, please follow these steps:

1. Determine your residency is within WPSD#1 boundaries.

· Visit the Williams County School District Map 

· Type your address into the top left-hand search box

· If your address is in YELLOW, you reside in WPSD#1

McKinney-Vento ActIf you are currently living in a hotel/motel, camper, vehicle, or shared housing with others, or are an unaccompanied youth with no legal parent/guardian, you may qualify for the McKinney-Vento Act, a Federal Law designed to remove barriers to education created by homelessness and provide for the educational rights of students in transition. Please contact Allison Stensland at (701)609-7673 for any questions or to make a determination if your family qualifies.

2. Please fill out the online Returning Student Pre-Registration Form and provide the following documents electronically either through that form, or by emailing them to

You must have each of the following:

  • Current ND Photo ID/Driver’s License or Tribal Card

    If you do not have a ND Photo ID/Driver’s License, you may bring in DMV appointment email to enroll, and then bring in your ND Photo ID/Driver’s License within 10 days after that appointment.

  • Primary Proof of Residence(choose one from items below)
    • Home Mortgage Statement OR
    • Notarized Residency Affidavit OR
    • Builder’s Agreement OR
    • Purchase Agreement OR
    • Homeowner’s Insurance Policy OR
    • Williams County Property Tax Statement OR
    • Lease/Rental Agreement (must list the names of parents/guardians living in the rental unit, along with the manager’s name and phone number)
  • Secondary Proof of Residence* – Must Be Within the Last 30 Days(choose one from items below)
    • Current Gas, Electric, or Water Bill OR
    • Current Cable or Satellite TV Bill OR
    • Department of Social Services Documentation

*If you have just moved and do not have a secondary proof of residence document, you may be given a 30-day extension to provide that to the enrollment office.

Unacceptable documents: US Mail, Post Office Change of Address, Credit Card/Bank Statements, Personal Taxes, Medical Bills, Payroll Checks, Auto Insurance Policy, W-2 Forms, or any other document not listed above.

3. Wait to be Contacted by Enrollment

Once steps 1 and 2 are completed, the enrollment team will email the parent/guardian and let them know that their student has been re-enrolled, what school they have been assigned to, and what date they will be starting, along with other pertinent information.

Please note that until all 3 steps have been completed, your student is not re-enrolled to attend WPSD#1.

Enrollment FAQs:

Q: Will my student be assigned to the same school they went to before?

A: For grades K-4, we do our best to place a returning student back into their original school, however we do not guarantee placement at that school. Grades 5-6 attend Bakken Elementary, grades 7-8 attend Williston Middle School, and grades 9-12 attend Williston High School.

Q: How soon will my student be attending classes once they are registered?

A: For grades K-8, there will be 2 full school days before your student will begin classes after all registration steps have been completed.

For grades 9-12, it may take up to 1 week (or longer) after all registration steps have been completed before your student will begin classes. This all depends on how long it takes our registrars to receive records from the previous school. The High School will contact the parents when this is complete. If you have a copy of your student’s unofficial transcript, please email it to to help expedite this process.


Q: We are still living at the address we lived at before, why do I have to provide new proof of residency documents?

A: Every time a student transfers out of our schools to attend school in another district, we require updated proof of residency upon return to ensure that student resides in WPSD#1.

If you have any questions about the required documents, completing the online forms, or other enrollment questions, please contact our District Office at (701)572-1580 ext. 1012 or