A Message from Dr. Richard Faidley, Superintendent of Williston Basin School District #7
Williston, N.D., (January 24, 2023) – The Williston Basin School District #7 is saddened to hear about baby Willy Rees and his leukemia diagnosis. We as a school community want to do everything that we can to support the Rees family during this time. As a school district, we are governed by certain laws, regulations, and policies, which dictate how we are able to handle situations, including:
FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act)
Per FMLA Guidelines, an eligible employee is one who:
- Works for a covered employer,
- Has worked for the employer for at least 12 months as of the date the FMLA leave is to start,
- Has at least 1,250 hours of service for the employer during the 12-month period immediately before the date the FMLA leave is to start, and
- Works at a location where the employer employs at least 50 employees within 75 miles of that worksite as of the date when the employee gives notice of the need for leave.
Williston Basin School District #7 Staff Handbook
- Per the WBSD7 Staff Handbook, an employee must work 30 hours or more per week to be eligible for insurance benefits. An employee’s insurance coverage termination date will be the last day of the month in which the employee last worked, at which time, the employee has the option for continued coverage through COBRA (which is paid for by the employee).
- A sick leave bank shall be available to all employees of Williston Basin School District #7 who qualify for accumulated sick leave. The purpose of this bank shall be to compensate employees in the event their regular accumulated sick leave days are exhausted due to their own and/or their immediate family member’s unexpected and catastrophic illness and/or injury. Each participating employee shall invest two sick leave days in the bank their first year (prorated for part-time employees). Whenever the balance falls below 180-days, each member shall be assessed sufficient days to restore a minimum 180-day balance. The offer to join the sick leave bank is a one-time offer. Upon employment with the district, each employee shall accept or reject sick leave bank participation.
Sick Leave Bank
Our hearts are saddened by the tragic news that has been shared by the Rees family. We continue to encourage our school and greater Williston community to support the Rees family in their time of need.
Our prayers and thoughts are with the Rees family
Dr. Richard H. Faidley